I am proud to say that I have made it alive through one week of teacher inservice, three weeks of school, and am starting my four week as a real-live teacher! Somedays I still find myself stopping and looking around my room going, "Wait, am I really a teacher? Am I really done with college?" But those moments are becoming fewer and farther between as I get into the swing of my new school and the idea that I am a real teacher.
My school is a great school, where I already feel accepted and a part of the staff. It is a Kindergarten through 8th grade school, which is a little different, but overall I really love my school. During the first few weeks of school, I realized just how small the world really is. For example, I went to school with the principal's son and the daugthers of another teacher. Also, my next door classroom teacher is a neighbor who used to live next door to me 20 years ago!! All of these connections have made feel welcome and comfortable at my new school.
And of course I have to tell you about my students, because I have come to love and care about each of them over the last few weeks. We have all settled into the school routine and my instructional groups are going strong. I even had one student tell me last week that my room is more fun than his homeroom!! I feel so lucky that I get to have a job that I love so much! The day seems to fly by, because I'm having such fun teaching.
Also in my room I have 2 full time instructional assistants and one part-time instructional assistants. These women are truly amazing and I am so lucky to have them as a part of my resource room team. The all of such knowledge and are great with the students. (This all makes my job that much easier). Without them, there is no way I would be able to do the job I do.
Of course there have been times when I am unsure if I am making the right decision or days when I come home very tired. But I haven't had many of those days, so I feel pretty lucky right now. That may all change later in the year, but I will keep you posted on that.
This week the big thing at my school is the Jog-A-Thon, which includes spirit week, where everyone wears clothes to support their favorite sports team, wears their favorite sneakers, and of course comes prepared to run in the Jog-A-Thon on Friday. Next week I will let you know how it all went. It is these kinds of activities that remind me of why I love elementary school. Kids get so excited for these events and they are a great moral booster.
My students remind me every day to have fun and what it's like to be a kid. I couldn't have chosen a better job for myself.
I will update you next week with more about my expereinces as a first year teacher.
P.S. I would love to have visitors come to my classroom! Feel free to give me a call and stop by anytime. I love showing off my very own classroom!!
Words of Wisdom
Me: "How did you get so smart?"
1st grade student: "Lots of practice."
1st grade student: "Lots of practice."
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Helena,
I am so proud of you! You are an amazing teacher and I can't wait to hear more of your first year experiences.
Anna Lisa
Hi, Helena!
What a good idea. I can't wait to keep up with your blog. I'm so, so proud of you and I know you are going to be such an inspiration to those children. It's also such a blessing to be with them every day and hear the things they have to say about life. We can learn a lot about life, love, and friendship from those kiddos. I'd love to see more pictures of your room! I miss you so much and think of you often.
Lots and lots of love,
Megan
Helena, your room looks great! I'm so glad you're posting this blog - I will love reading your updates. I'm not surprised by the comment about your room being more fun than homeroom!...I'm sure LOTS of your students feel that way :)
Talk to you soon -
xo Molly
Amazing Helena... Yes I think that is what I am going to name you from now on! I can't believe (no hold it, yes I can!) you have put together this blog, got it up and running all in your first month of teaching! Your room looks great and I hope I get an opportunity to visit. Best wishes on your first year! Marlee
Helena,
I am so happy for you and glad to hear that things are going well! Thanks for posting the photos. I love your classroom. I look forward to more posts on your school year. Your love for your job shines through. The kids are so lucky to have you there for them!
Sandy
I just love the photos of your classroom. Warm, inviting, cheerful, colorful, purposefully arranged,(clean...unlike my classroom most of the time - ha ha!) Nothing short of what I expected from you. Hope you are doing great!
There are some very lucky kids in a classroom at Prairie Mountain School. It's so cool to see you finding a niche, and in such an important area! I'm also proud to share a district with you! All the best,
Mike
Post a Comment